I
have always been my youngest son’s strongest critic, but I am also his biggest
fan. I would never say I love my son
more than his mother. I don’t believe a
man can love his child more than the woman that carried him, but I do believe I
can be a bigger fan. Watching my son
work on his craft has been a great joy in my life. Watching him lose interest or not work as
hard on his craft worries me. It‘s hard
to look at someone you love waste a talent you know was God given. My son has worked tirelessly on his game and
now it seems he’s tired of the work. My
worry is, did I push too hard or did I not push hard enough. It’s hard for some dad’s to not relive their
lives through their children. I often wonder if I am doing that with my baby boy.
How
do you teach your son to turn off the noise?
You didn’t let him run the streets.
You didn’t let him hang out all night.
You took him to nearly every practice, tryout, game or workout. You watched him work six or seven days a
week, you kept him too busy to worry about what was going on in the
streets. But what do you do when the
streets start calling and now your son feels like he’s being left behind or
isn’t as street smart as the other kids?
As his father I worry if I prepared him for the different aspects of
life. All I know to do is to try to keep
talking with him.
The
best thing I can try to impress upon my son is, it’s okay not to be street
savvy. It’s okay not to know what people
are talking about. If they are true
friends they won’t care if you don’t know, they will just explain it to you if
you tell them you don’t know. Even
though I was raised with uncles, cousins and family friends who were OG’s, Mr.
Nephew, Bo, Pete, Baby Bruno, Big Mike to name a few, I wasn’t in tune and was
quite clueless to what was going on. I
was sheltered to an extent, even shielded from the life. That’s not to say I didn’t learn some things
and tried some things; I’m just making the point that I was an outsider growing
up. I was the square kid, the lame kid
in all of my circles but having said that, I had a talent that people respected
me for, I could ball. The people I grew
up with understood I wasn’t the kid that would look for trouble or volunteer to
be involved in dumb shit, although I did get into trouble and do dumb shit,
they understood that isn’t what I was about.
They knew what basketball meant to me and didn’t want me to be like
them, they were my friends and did their best to make sure I didn’t fall prey
to the streets, although I didn’t always make the best decisions, my friends
didn’t push me to make the wrong decisions.
Times
are different now. Haters pretend to be
friends just so they can say they know you, but in secret they are doing
everything they can to tear you down. When you are not “street savvy” it is
hard to tell who is actually a friend and who is actually hating on you. My son had several teammates who were
haters. I tried to explain that everyone
wants your spot. When you are the man,
everyone wants to try the man, to beat the man, or to tear down the man. The higher you go in your profession the more
guarded you have to be. Everyone who is
around you has to have your best interest at heart. Most times they are positioning themselves to
be in place, just in case or when you fall.
Understanding they may have you hot boxing to keep you distracted, to
get you out of their way. Providing you
opportunities to fail by presenting you things you know you should not be
doing. What I would I tell my son, what
I am going to tell my son, is this, it is very hard at times to be comfortable
with not fitting in. We all want to be
part of something and feel included, but you will find people out there that
don’t care that you are not up on game and are street savvy. They will like you for being smart, being
yourself, being confident, being or engineer or being an NBA player, they will
just care about you and not what you have or what you can do for them. You won’t have to be something you are not
and you will be more respected for standing up for yourself the right way and
not bending to the will of others. Love
yourself first. Take care of yourself
first. Do what is right for you
first. Worry about yourself first then
worry about others. There are exceptions
to that of course, but God will guide you when those sacrifices are
necessary. Trust God! Do what is right! Work hard!
Be the best at it!
A
Father’s Worry is, will his son reach his potential or will he waste that
talent entrusted to him by God? I pray
for my son every day! So, since I
believe in God, I should say, my worry is unfounded because God will make a
way. My wife and I can’t love our son
more than God, so we both know he is in good hands. Reach your dreams son. We’ll be watching in the owner’s box when you
get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment