Monday, August 31, 2009

Pencil

Externally, I am wood. Carved from trees and shaved into a long, smoothed out utencil that is easy to hold with the hand of a human being. Internally, I am lead. A soft but heavy metal that is liquified and made to fit into the prepared wooden frame. Sharpen my tip and I am ready to use. I know I sound simple but what it takes to make me is not so simple. There are many steps in my creation.

Before my existence, my state was rock-like and I could be used to make markings on other, more solid types of surfaces. Before technological intelligence modified my state, I was the Leader of anything that had to be written from the thought or idea of a human being. The smarter the humans got, the better my physical being became. Lots of things were written and not able to be taken back once written, so to fix this mistake, I was then assembled with an eraser to clear the image.

As time and humans evolved, so did I.  I have came such a long way from making markings on cave walls during the beginning of mankind to writing rough drafts for the Presidents speeches. Now, rarely used, I remain humble with the knowledge that I Am the Leader and first element to create history on paper. I drew the blueprints for the buildings and homes that we obtain. I drew the blueprints for the roads you travel. I wrote the laws that you abide by. I made history, literally.

I have now been replaced with computers, keyboards, text messaging, and cellular phones but I can say that the children still love me. They use me and my many colors that I come in to create what their learning minds are pondering.

FYI, Lead also makes bullets. So when you use me to write, think of your word as your ammunition. To my people who still use me..... Write On.


PENCIL

Andre Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment